• blog
  • Goa forgiving

Panjim is one of the best planned cities in the country, with a neat network of main avenues and connecting roads, a sewerage system, gardens and excellent Indo-Portuguese architecture. Panjim is a microcosm of Goa with a river and the Arabian Sea lapping at its feet, Khazan and salt pan lands which have now turned into the bus terminus and Patto Plaza the corporate district of Goa., from the salt pans to the coconut groves and Panjim rises up in an extremely picturesque manner to its hilltop at Altinho.

Panjim was originally a small fishing village with lots of coconut groves between creeks and fields. This capital city was a ward of Taleigao village. It so enamoured Adil Shah that he built his summer palace surrounded by a moat which was later filled up by the Portuguese when they came in to power and left Old Goa with its pestilence and disease to build a new city or Nova Goa as Panjim was called. But it was only during the early 19 th century that the city was enlarged, public sewerage, tree-lined avenues, gardens and ornamental park benches etc. The city was elevated to the status of city and became the capital of Goa by a royal decree and was known as Nova Goa.

The magnificent edifices of Old Goa were dismantled and the stones were reused to build smaller but very elegant houses for the people of Panjim and sturdy but again, elegant government buildings. Panjim with its broad tree lined avenues, gardens and beautiful buildings earned her the sobriquet, “Princess of the Mandovi”.

But all things must end, especially those who had to protect this beautiful city from the ravages of time. After Liberation the buildings of Panjim, began to lose their sparkle as those entrusted with their maintenance allowed the city to go to wrack and ruin.

Now Panjimites realize the value of its heritage and the Goa Heritage Action Group has been in the forefront of restoring Panjim to its earlier glory.

Architect Raya Shankwalker has taken photographs of some of Panjim’s old structures which have been renovated. His photographs prove that sometimes city fathers and city people can come together to bring a city to life. Raya too has played a large part in the beautification of Panjim city.

Goa Statistics

Co-ordinates: 15o29’35’’N 73o49’05’’E / 15.493oN 73.818oE

Area: 3702 km2

Capital: Panaji

Official language: Konkani

Altitude: sea level up to 1022 mts

Climate: max 36oC, min 17oC

Annual rainfall: 300 cms (average)

Population: 13, 43,998

Population density: 363/km2

Literacy rate: 82.32%

Time zone: IST (UTC+5.30)

Districts: 2

Established: 30th may 1987

 
Scroll the mouse wheel over an image to zoom-in/zoom-out in the desired point. After zooming you can drag the image to see hidden parts.

 

 
Places in Goa



























 
PATTO BRIDGE : A Symbol of History

( Prajal Sakhardande – Heritage Point, Panjim Plus)

The silvery waters of the river Gomati (Mandovi) flow gently below a small bridge, which has withstood the ravages of time, standing silently to welcome every visitor that comes to the capital city of Goa – Panjim. This small bridge popularly known as “PattoBridge” is a historic monument, a mute spectator to the Portuguese rule over Goa, its ouster and the post-liberation period.

The Patto Bridge, a marvel of civil engineering and architecture, was designed along the bridges of the ancient Roman period, by the Portuguese, thus creating an everlasting monument which stands till date, unfettered by time’s ravages, while the bridges built in the post liberation period have gone down a number of times. The classic examples are the Mandovi & Zuari Bridges.

Without sounding eulogistic of the colonial rule, one cannot fail to admire the strong foundations and structures the Portuguese created in Goa, which have withstood a number of rough weathers.

The Patto Bridge, known as “Ponte de Linhares” (‘Ponte’ in Portuguese means Bridge) is a continuation of the long causeway again known as Ponte de Linhares, that links Panjim to Ribandar.

Let us flash back to the 17 th Century, when the three talukas of Goa – Tiswadi, Bardez and Salcete (then Marmagoa was part of Salcete), were under the control of the Portuguese. It was the period of the Portuguese Viceroy Conde de Linhares Dom Miguel de Noronha, who ruled the three talukas from the capital city Velha Goa or Ela (today known as Old Goa).

Prominent scholar and historian, Percival Noronha gives an interesting historical account of the bridge. He elucidates that it was the Viceroy, Count of Linhares, Dom Miguel de Noronha, who linked Panjim with Ribandar village by a 3.2 Km long causeway, known as “Ponte de Linhares” (LinharesBridge).

The expertise of the Jesuits of the College of St. Paul (Collegio de Sao Paulo) in Old Goa was availed of in 1632 and the massive bridge, the longest and oldest in the whole East, was built on alluvial soil after stabilizing it with solid trunks of local timber known as “zambo” or “jambo” (benth). The super structure of the bridge was constructed exclusively in laterite stone.

Percival Noronha further states that it is indeed surprising that this bridge originally designed for light traffic of horse driven carriages, coming from Old Goa, today defies heavy vehicular traffic, concludes Noronha.

The entire bridge on the Panjim side and the Ribandar side was formerly 3,026 metres long, supported by 40 Roman style arches built of locally available laterite stone. Great historian – writer Antonio Menezes in his article ‘ ExploringPanajiCity’ says “in the course of time, these arches, except those on the Panjim side of the bridge were closed on the right side as rice fields emerged. The two arches of the Patto Bridge were broken when Rua de Ourem was enlarged. The Rua de Ourem creek lies below the Patto Bridge.

After Liberation of Goa, the Ponte de Linhares Bridge, on the Panjim side, was known as the “PattoBridge” and the area around this bridge came to be known as Patto, after the bridge. On the Ribandar side too, it is known as Patto.

As you move from Panjim to Ribandar, the Roman style laterite stone arches are still visible, and when the Mandovi waves dash against these historic arches, the scene appears very romantic and beautiful.

The Panjim side Patto Bridge is also a beautiful piece of architecture. A curved balustraded structure, which is paved on both sides supported by massive thick Roman style arches from the vicinity of the Rua de Ourem creek, looks extremely beautiful. The Patto Bridge is painted in white, which again adds to its beauty.

Antonio Menezes in his articles says “a column of the Panjim side of the bridge (Sancoddeo) had a Portuguese inscription indicating the date of construction and the name of the Viceroy, the Conde de Linhares. This column with the inscription came down in 1973, when a bus heading towards Ribandar dashed against it and the inscription fell into the river. Some arches were repaired in 1859. The entire bridge was built between the years 1632 – 34. The bridge is named after the Portuguese Viceroy Conde de Linhares, during whose tenure this major developmental activity was carried out, which till date serves the people of Goa”.

Thus the PattoBridge has become a symbol of our heritage and one of the positive legacies left by the Portuguese who ruled Goa from 1510 – 1961, for a period of 451 years, with her varying boundaries.

COMPILED BY:- SANJEEV V. SARDESAI – sanscritic@sify.com


Comments
No comments


Post a Comment

 

 

 

  

Copyright © 2012, Heritage Jazz. All Rights Reserved.
Served by GCW